How to Look Taller: Style Tips Every Petite Woman Should Know — Ponchos & Wraps
About The "Style Tips Every Petite Woman Should Know" Series
Style Tips Every Petite Woman Should Know About Ponchos and Wraps
Winter brings capes, ponchos, and wraps to the fashion scene season after season. It is one of the most versatile winter wardrobe pieces that can transfer your look and mood immediately. Plus, no one will complain about seeing you wearing it day in and out.
Here are Thanksgiving outfit ideas and petite woman styling tips that you can follow to stand out without screaming for attention or looking like the Red Ridding Hood during this holiday's gatherings.
If you already have one of these in your wardrobe, test a new styling to update your look.
But Before That...Do You Know Your Signature Look?
Forgot "you are what you eat." You are what you wear! Before you invest in a poncho, wrap or kimono, take our FREE Petite Persona Style Quiz to see if they reflect your personality. You will come away with a Signature Look that aligns with your life style and fashion sensibility as petite, plus tips for styling your particular look.
Take the quiz right below!
5 Poncho & Wrap Styles & Tips for Petite and Short Women
- Knitted poncho in pullover style can transform a tee and jeans combo from boring to chic in an instant. Consider simple knit patterns for a streamlined look. Look for one with hem ends around your hips. A poncho hem line that is not just a straight horizontal line (such as a curve or angled ones) can visually enhance the shape of your hips and/or lengthen your legs. Our favorite petite fashion blogger Jean Wang from Extrapetite.com does it so well. She also keeps her layers simple and interesting. You can read her reviews of these two ponchos by clicking the image credits below.
2. Another warm and cozy choice is a wrap vest. Make your look more metropolitan by layering it over a moto or fitted leather jacket as Wendy Nguyen from Wendy's Lookbook styles it. Add a belt to define your waist line and you are good to go. This look is great for holiday party that commands a more glam rock sensibility.
Source of Original Image: Wendy's Lookbook
3. If you live in a warmer climate, kimono in velvet texture is a great alternative to ponchos or wraps. Look for one with an above-hip hem or a high-low style like this one from Anthropologie for longer legs. Simply dress it up for holiday gathering with a pair of elegant suede heels (blocked heels like the ones in the picture are super comfy).
Source of Original Image: Anthropologie
4. An oversized scarf is a great option for traveling in style, and is practical if you are going between different climates. Since it is over-size, style the scarf above your chest and layer outfits of different lengths underneath to visually define waistline and bust.
For example, you can pair a shorter cropped jacket that ends right under your bust over a longer tee that drapes at or just under your waist like this look styled by Wendy of Wendy's Lookbook.
Just add a large tote, a pair of jeans or jogger, and botties. You are good to jet set!
Source of Original Image: Wendy's Lookbook
5. Tassel has become the ubiquitously favorite for a lot of us this year because of its sense of whimsical magic. In Fall and Winter fashion, tassel adds a touch of coziness. For example, this tassel scarf from our friends at Loomed is Scandinavian chic meets ultimate coziness. Handmade in Peru with 100% fine baby alpaca wool, this scarf is perfectly soft and substantial for travel or cuddling up on the couch over a good book. Better yet, it also has the right amount of fullness and length for petites!
For a festive look, add a pop of red (or other bright color) to your outfit or try a bold red lip. You are instantly dressed for any cozy winter festivity, from traditional family Thanksgiving dinners to low-key Friendsgiving gathering.
Source of Original Image: Loomed
Stay tuned as we add more tips. To read the entire "How To Look Taller: Style Tips Every Petite Women Should Know" series, CLICK HERE. New post will be added as they become available
Do You Know Your True Style?
Take our Find Your Signature Look Quiz to see if you are French Classic, Boho Chic, Preppy, Glam Rock or Romantic Feminine based on your petite persona.
Join our Short Girls Crushing It community to be amongst the first to get our fashion and life style tips like this.
Knowledge is Power!
Do you have a favorite shopping or styling trick for maxi dresses and skirt? Share them with our Short Girls community by leaving a comment below.
If you like this post, share it with your Petite and Short Friends on Facebook or Twitter! We appreciate more than you think.
Just click the FB or Twitter icon below.
Posted on 06 November 2017